Friday, February 6

I attend... MAKI HAMADA'S EXHIBITION

where: Peter Potter Gallery, 10 The Sands, Haddington, EH41 3EY
when: until March 28, 10 till 5 Monday to Saturday


Maki works at the cafe now and again. She takes care to make a really good cup of coffee, and she often asks me how my writing is going. I'm aware she's an artist (makihamada.com) who's won prizes and awards - and she was a finalist in the Nationwide Mercury Prize Art Competition, which is the sister competition to the pop music awards. I've already missed a previous exhibition in the Owl and Lion Gallery in the Grassmarket, so when I hear she has a new exhibition in the Peter Potter Gallery in Haddington 20 miles away (google map here) I attend the launch.

Her work is stunning.

Viewing from a distance, I find that the composition and the storytelling are compelling; viewing close up, I lose myself in the meticulous technique and detail, the whimsical narratives of myth, nature and mischief, and the variety of materials she utilises (mushroom prints, hole-punch circles, felt, although her painting and drawing craft is always in charge). Every square inch is packed with further pictures. Like an optical illusion, each work bamboozles your brain into seeing first one thing, then another - and in Maki's work the alternatives are not binary but numerous.


The exhibition runs till March 28th 2009. Go see. Make a day of it - Haddington is a pretty town with lots of good walking around it. Take your cheque book, and arrange a large overdraft facility; this work is not cheap, nor should it be!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since I'm only a quarter Scot, I don't have a fully developed sense of humor, but I'm a quarter Irish, so that should count for something. Last time I was in Edinburgh was 1985, closing down the bar at the George Hotel with a bunch of bankers from Glasgow. They are probably bank presidents by now or in jail. Prestonfield House was my address. Great food. I'm a retired stock-bond broker, so I have lots of free time. I paint for a living now. Maki's work is very good, very feminine. Good luck with your writing. Break a pencil.

Mike Stocks said...

You're right, her work is very feminine. Mysterious feminine power...! The George Hotel is still there, Prestonfield House too, though both transformed no doubt since 20 years ago. Thanks for your good wishes, and good luck in your work too.

Kee said...

Will definitely think about seeing Maki's work when I'm in Edinburgh in a few weeks!I'm hoping the visit will awaken my creativity and that i'll be able to start writing my dissertation (a twelve thousand word 'short' story)...
All the best with your writing!

Mike Stocks said...

Do take a look - the exhibition runs until the end of the month. She's made lots of sales. Come into the Elephant House too, say hello to her (and me) if you see us. Good luck with the story.